Permanent residence permits

There are 11 categories in which a Permanent residence permits may be issued and these include, holders of work visas, spouses of South Africans, children of South Africans, investors, critically skilled individuals, retirees, refugees, net worth applicants and relatives of South Africans

In order to apply on the basis of holding a work visa, the application must prove that he or she has held a work visa for a period of 5 or more years and who has received a permanent offer of employment.

Foreigners how have been espoused to South Africans for 5 years also qualify for permanent residence on the basis of their spousal relationship/life partnership.

Applicants applying on the basis of extraordinary (or critical) skills or qualifications must prove that they qualify in one the of the critical skills categories provided for on the Critical Skills List and providing at least 5 years’ post-qualification experience. The application for permanent residence can extend to include the immediate family members of the work visa holder/main applicant.

Foreigners who intend to establish or invest in or who has established or invested in a business in South Africa, and the immediate family members of such foreigner, may apply for permanent residence on the basis of such intention/investment.

Foreigners who are able to demonstrate that they have:

  1. The right to a pension or an irrevocable annuity or retirement account which will give to such foreigner a prescribed minimum payment for the rest of his or her life from his or her country of origin; or
  2. Has the right to a combination of assets.

May apply for permanent residence on the aforesaid basis.

A foreigner with a prescribed net worth may also apply for permanent residence on the basis of such net worth.

A refugee in possession of a letter issued by the Standing Committee confirming that such refugee will remain a refugee indefinitely may apply for permanent residence.

Related Posts

  • Foreigners who wish to work in South Africa may, provided that he/she meets the quintessential requirements, apply for a work visa in one of the following categories: General work visas:    proving amongst other things that the particular skill set of the foreigner is not available in the South African labour…
  • If any foreigner requires to conduct work (or an internship) for no less than 90 days, the foreigner may apply for work authorization in terms of section 11(2) of the Immigration Act. This authorization is granted at the South African Embassy, Consulate or High Commission operating in the foreigner’s country…
  • Upon application to the Minister of Home Affairs, the Minister may under terms and conditions determined by him or her allow distinguished visitors or members of his/her family to be adminited and sojourn in South Africa and or waive any prescribed (regulatory) requirements for good cause and/or grant any foreigner…
  • A relative visa may be issued to a foreigner who is a member of the immediate family of a South African citizens or permanent resident. The South African citizen or permanent resident must be willing and able to financially support/sustain the foreigner while in South Africa. Immediate family member is…
  • Visitor visas may be issued for a period valid for longer than 90 days and up to 3 years at a time. These 3 year visitor visas may be issued to the following: Dependent spouses or children of foreigners with valid long term visasSpouses of South Africans (with authorization to…