Visitor visa (long term)

Visitor visas may be issued for a period valid for longer than 90 days and up to 3 years at a time.

These 3 year visitor visas may be issued to the following:

  • Dependent spouses or children of foreigners with valid long term visas
  • Spouses of South Africans (with authorization to work)
  • Teaching at an international school
  • Working in the film industry
  • Foreign journalists
  • Visiting professors
  • Artists
  • Persons in the entertainment industry
  • Tour leaders / hosts
  • Foreigners testifying as state witness

These visas may be renewed for a further 3 years while in South Africa.

The process of applying for these visitor visas are more onerous than the short term visitor visas and various documentation are required to be submitted.

As a general rule, these long term visitor visas are applied for and issued by the South African Embassy, Consulate or High Commission operating in the foreigner’s country (save for certain exceptions).

The holder of a visitor visa may not as a general rule, change status and/or conditions while in South Africa.

Foreign spouses of South Africans may apply for either a relative visa, which prohibits work, or a visitor visa based on the relationship with the South Africa with authorization to pursue any of the activities listed in the Immigration Act (such as work, study, own business etc.).

Related Posts

  • In order to enter the borders of South Africa, foreigners who are neither South African citizens nor permanent residents, must be in possession of a visa enabling them to enter South Africa. Certain countries are visa restricted while others are visa exempt. Visa exempt countries are issued pot of entry…
  • Foreigners who wish to work in South Africa may, provided that he/she meets the quintessential requirements, apply for a work visa in one of the following categories: General work visas:    proving amongst other things that the particular skill set of the foreigner is not available in the South African labour…
  • If any foreigner requires to conduct work (or an internship) for no less than 90 days, the foreigner may apply for work authorization in terms of section 11(2) of the Immigration Act. This authorization is granted at the South African Embassy, Consulate or High Commission operating in the foreigner’s country…
  • Retired person visas are not necessarily age restricted. A retired person visa may be issued to a foreigner who is able to demonstrate that he has: The right to a pension or an irrevocable annuity or retirement account which will give to such foreigner a prescribed minimum payment for the…
  • Study visas are not age restricted and any person wishing to study at a learning institution (as defined) in South Africa, can apply for a study visa.  The first application is usually made in the applicant’s country of origin. A study visa may be issued to any person wishing to…